bseb class 8 english solution
class – 8
subject – english
lesson 13 – MY SHADOW
( मेरी परछाईं )
HINDI TRANSLATION OF THE POEM I can see …
I have a………………..I can see.
Word meaning :
Shadow ( n ) शैडो ] = परछाई , छाया । Use ( n ) [ यूज ] = व्यवहार , प्रयोग । More ( adj ) [ मोर ] = अधिक , ज्यादा ।
अर्थ – एक छोटी – सी परछाई है मेरे संग , अंदर – बाहर जो मेरे साथ जाती है । मैं जितना देख सकता हूँ , उससे ज्यादा कहीं उसका उपयोग होता है ।
He is very , ……. into my bed .
Word meaning : Very ( adj ) [ वेरी ] = बहुत । Like ( ad ) [ लाइक ] = जैसा , समान । Heels up ( phr ) [ हील्स अप ] = ऊपर की ओर उठता है । Jump ( V ) [ जम्म ] = उछलना ।
अर्थ— वह तो बहुत कुछ बिल्कुल मेरे जैसा है , ऊपर से नीचे तक । विस्तर से जब मैं कूदता हूँ , वह भी कूद पड़ता है मेरे संग ।
The funniest ……. of him at all .
Word meaning : Funniest ( adj ) [ फनोएस्ट ] – सबसे मजेदार । मजा किया । Way ( n ) [ वे = तरीका । Proper ( adj ) [ प्रॉपर ] = उचित , योग्य | Always ( adv ) [ ऑलवेज = सदा , हमेशा | Shoots up ( phr ) [ शूट्स अप ] = आगे को बढ़ जाता है । Indian rubber ball ( n ) [ इण्डियन रबड़ बॉल ) = उछलने वाली भारतीय गेंद ।
अर्थ.- सबसे आनन्ददायक तो वह तरीका है , जैसे कि वह बढ़ता जाता है । एक छोटे बच्चे की तरह नहीं , जो कि धीरे – धीरे बढ़ता है । कभी – कभी तो वह भारतीय , उछलने वाली गेंद सी एकदम बढ़ जाता है । और कभी तो वह इतना छोटा होता , कि वह दिखता तक नहीं है ।
One morning …………asleep in bed .
Word meaning : Early ( adj ) [ अर्ली ] = सवेरे । Rose ( v ) [ रोज ] = जगा , उठा । Found ( v ) [ फाउन्ड ] = पाया । Shining ( ad ) [ शाइनिंग ] = चमकता हुआ । Dew ( n ) [ इयू ] = ओस । Buttercup ( n ) ( बटर कप ] = एक प्रकार का पीला फूल | Arrant ( adj ) [ एरेन्ट ] = बुरा । Sleep ( adj ) [ स्लीप ] = निद्राग्रस्त , सोया हुआ – सा । Fast asleep ( phr ) [ फास्ट अस्लीप ] = गहरी नींद में सोया हुआ ।
अर्थ– एक सुबह , बेहद सुबह , सूरज के उगने से पहले ही जग गया मैं । मैं उठा और देखा ओस की बूंदें हर बटरकप के फूल पर ।RADIANCE BOOK – 3 105 वे ओस की बूंदें थीं , जो कि बेहद चमक रही थीं , पर मेरी सुस्त परछाई , मेरी निद्रालु सिर सी रह गई थी घर पर ही पड़ी और गहरी नींद में सोई थी ।
‘ My Shadow ‘ is a entertaining poem . The poem is Penned by the poet , Robert Louis Stevenson . The speaker of the poem is a child . The child is wondering about his shadow . The shadow keeps on changing . Sometimes it shoots up , grows up taller than him . Sometimes it becomes very little and vanishes too . This surprises the speaker . He makes a search for his shadow and explains it .
‘ माई शैडो ‘ ( मेरी परछाई ) एक मनोरंजक कविता है । प्रस्तुत कविता के कवि हैं रॉबर्ट लुईस स्टीवेन्सन । कविता का वक्ता एक बालक है । वह बालक अपनी परछाई को लेकर आश्चर्य में पड़ा रहता है । उसकी परछाईं बार – बार बदलती रहती है । कभी तो वह उससे भी बड़ी हो जाती है और कभी तो वह अत्यंत छोटी हो जाती है और कभी तो एकदम से गायब हो जाती है । यह बात वक्ता को आश्चर्य में डाल देती है । वह अपनी छाया की तलाश करता है , उसके बारे में जानकारी इकट्ठा करता है और सबको बताता है ।
Q. 1. Have you ever seen your shadow ? What do you notice about it ?
Ans . Yes , I have seen my shadow many times . In light I see it . In dark , it disappears . Slanting light makes it taller , light coming from top makes my shadow smallers .
Q. 2. Is your shadow always of the same length on different times of the day ?
Ans . No , it is not the same all the time . In early morning it is small , with the rising of the day it grows taller and in noon it becomes very small . After the noon it again grows and in evening it is again smaller and at night it disappears at all .
B. LET’S COMPREHEND
B.1 . THINK AND TELL
B.1.1 . Answer the following questions very briefly :
Q.1 . What is the finniest thing about the speaker’s ( poet’s ) shadow ?
Ans . The way he likes to grow .
Q. 2. What happened on morning before the sunrise ?
Ans . The shadow was not any where .
Q. 3. Does the speaker’s shadow always remain the same ?
Ans . No
B.1.2 . State whether the following statements are ‘ True ‘ or ‘ False ‘ .
1. The speaker’s shadow jumps after him when he jumps into his bed .
2. At times , the speaker’s shadow is taller than him .
3. The spaaker’s shadow always follows him .
4. The speaker’s shadow was very active .
Ans , I. ( T ) . 2. ( T ) , 3. ( F ) , 4. ( F ) .
B.2 . THINK AND WRITE : SabDekho.in
B.2.1 . Answer the following questions briefly .
Q. 1. What does the shadow of the speaker do ?
Ans . The shadow goes in an out with the speaker .
Q. 2. How does the shadow grow ?
Ans . The shadow grows the way he likes to .
Q. 3. Why does the spenker call his shadow lazy ?
Ans . In early morning he doesn’t get up with him .
B.2.2 . Answer the following questions in about 50-60 words .
Q. 1. How does the shadow of the speaker behave ?
Does your shadow also behave similarly ?
Ans . The speaker’s shadow behave very funnily . Sometimes it grows very slow . Sometimes , it grows very fast . Sometimes it does not grow at all . Yes , its right . My shadow also behaves likewise the speaker’s .
Q. 2. Why does the speaker call his shadow ‘ the funniest thing ‘ ?
Ans . The speaker calls his shadow the funniest thing because it likes to grow in its own way . Sometimes it shoots up taller like an India – rubber ball . Sometimes it gets so little that there’s none of it could be seen .
Q. 3. Why do you think that the shadow of the poet did not accom pany him before the sunrise ? Explain .
Ans . The shadow of a person grows according to the light . Before sunrise there is dark . In darkness the shadow can’t grow . So , the shadow of the poet did not accompany him before the sunrise .
Q. 4. What do you like most about the poem ?
Ans . I like the presentation of the shadow in the poem . The way if grows taller and the way it grows , smaller and disappears at all , amuses me .
C. WORD STUDY SabDekho.in
Look at these words :
funny – furnier — funniest
little – more – most
shining — more
shining -most shining
Fill in the blanks with suitable degree of adjectives .
slow slower ……..
Early earlier ………
fast ……… ……..
lovely ………. ……..
beautiful ……. ………
slow slower slowest
early earlier earliest
fast faster fastest
lovely lovelier loveliest
beautiful more beautiful most beautiful
D.1 . GRAMMAR SabDekho.in
Read the following sentences :
There is some water in the bottle .
He is fond of his daughter .
He fell off the ladder .
In sentence I , the word in shows the relation between two things water and bottle . In sentence 2 , the word of shows the relation between the adjective fond and the noun daughter . In sentence 3 , the word off shows the relation between the verb fell and the noun ladder .
These words which are used before a noun or a pronoun to show its relationship with another word in the sentence are called prepositions . The noun or pronoun which follows a preposition is called its object . Note that pronouns used after a preposition should be in the objective case .
He is fond of her . ( NOT He is fond of she . )
A preposition may have two or more objects , e.g ..
Between you and me there are few secrets . ( Here the pronouns you and me are the objects of the preposition between . )
Prepositions show various kind of relations . The most important among them are the following :
*She ran across the street .
* The boy fell among the thorns .
* We were at the foot of the hill .
* The thief was biding behind the cupboard .
* I have a meeting in the afternoon .
* You must return before sunset .
* Wait till tomorrow . We waited for hours.
Method and manner
* The letter came by post .
* He cut the cake with a knife .
*They fought with courage .
* They succeeded by hard work .
Reason and Purpose
*She died of malaria .
* He trembled with anger .
* Smoking is injurious to health .
* He is a man of principles .
* Mumbai is the financial capital of India .
* I saw a boy with red hair .
Direction and Motion
*He fell into the well .
*He climbed up the tree .
* She walked towards the market .
*The moon moves ground the sun .
Prepositions – Time
Preposition usage and examples given Bellow…
On–Day of the week—On Monday
In–months/ seasons/Time of day/year/ after a certain period of time–In august/In winter/in the morning/in 2006/in an hour
At–for night/for weekend/a certain point of time—at night/at the weekend/at half past nine
Since– from a certain period of time ( past till now )—since 1980
For– over a certain period of time ( past till now )–for two years
Ago–a certain time in the past–2 years ago
Before– earlier than a certain point of time– before 2004
To — telling the time — 10 to 6 ( 5:50 )
Past–tell me the time–10 past 6
To/ till / until — marketing the beginning and end of a period of — from Monday to /till Friday
Till / until– time in the sense of how long something is going to last –he is on holiday until Friday
By– in the sense of at the latest up to a certain time– I will be back by 6 O’Clocks .By 11 o’clock .I have read five pages
1. Write prepositions in the blanks .
1. The railway station is ……Hajipur Road ………..the river .
2.They live ……………… the same roof .
3. I have not seen him ……last Wednesday.
4. I have known him ………. a long time .
5 . The robbers jumped …… the train while it was still moving .
6. Tum ………………. the light ! I have to sleep .
7 . This is a matter …………….. great importance .
8 . He has not yet recovered……… his illness .
9. They were arguing ……… who was the first one to see the tiger .
10. Please take …….. your boots . They’re very dirty .
11. I put my hands……….. my eyes because I couldn’t bear to see the crocodiles fight .
12. I took us ten minutes to finish the big bowl popcom .
13. Is there a toilet ……. there ?
14. We paddled quickly downstream as our boat was…….. croco diles and hippopotamuses .
15. He jumped out ……… the car just before it fell………. a hill .
16. He took an hour to choose …………….. a white dress and a black dress .
17. They decided to take legal action ……….him for driving………. the influence of alcohol .
18. …………….. six years , the hospital is still ………….. construction .
19. The lorry was moving ……………… full speed when the load of duck’s eggs fell ………….
20. It won’t fall because I have twisted the wire that post to keep it …………. position .
21 . the 1990s , he lived alone ………………. an island the coast of Africa .
22. This week she has to work …….. midnight Monday Friday .
23. Could I talk to you ………………. a few minutes ?
24. Her room is ……. the corridor the left .
25. Police want to know all ……………. it and are calling for witnesses .
26. He blew ……………. the lamp and lay down ……………… the ground .
27. Suddenly , the tiger appeared . him . I pounced him …… …….. warning .
28. The force ……… the spring threw him away ……….. the tiger , and he jumped ……. his feet , ready …… face his enemy.
29. We have not met ……….. last October .
30. Books were scattered.. ……. the room .
31. Fire – crackers are set …. ……….. to frighten the evil spirits .
32. Luckily , the wind died down and the fire began to burn itself ………
33. I lived in Delhi …………….. Six years .
34. The referee ordered two players . ………the field .
1. The railway station is on Hajipur road , beside the river .
2. They live under the same roof .
3. I have not seen him since last Wednesday .
4 . I have known him for a long time . 5. The robbers jumped off the train while it was still moving .
6. Turn of the light ! I have to sleep .
7. This is a matter of great importance . 8. He has not yet recovered from his illness .
9. They are arguing about who was the first one to see the tiger .
10. Please take off your boots . They’re very dirty .
11. I put my hands on my eyes because I couldn’t bear to see the croco diles fight .
12. It took us about ten minutes to finish the big bowl of popcorn .
13. Is there a toilet over there ?
14. We paddled quickly down stream as our boat was before crocodiles and hippopotamus .
15. He jumped out off the car just before it fell down a hill .
16. He took an hour to choose between a white dress and a black dress .
17. They decided to take legal action against him for driving in the influence of alcohol.
18. For six years , the hospital is still under construction .
19. The lorry was moving at full speed when the load of duck’s eggs fell ofl . 20. It won’t fall down because I have twisted the wire with that post to keep it within position.
21. In the 1990s , the lived alone on an island along the coast of Africa .
22. This week she has to work till midnight Monday to Friday .
23. Could I talk to you for a few minutes ?
24. Her room is by the corridor to the left .
25. Police want to know all about it and are calling for witnesses .
26. He blew off the lamp and lay down on the ground .
27. Suddenly , the tiger appeared before him . It pounced on him without warning ,
28. The force of the spring threw him away towards the tiger , and he jumped at his feet , ready to face his enemy .
29. We have not met since last October .
30. Books were scattered around the room .
31. Fire – crackers are set to frighten the evil spirits .
32. Lucikly , the wind died down and the fire began to burn itelf down .
33. I lived in Delhi for six years .
34. The referee ordered two players out of the field .
D.2 . RHYME TIME
Ex : ‘ Me ‘ in the poem rhymes with ‘ see ‘ . Pick out some other rhyming words from the poem .
Add two more rhyming words to the following list :
heel feel …….. ……..
lazy hazy …….. ……..
sun bun …….. ……..
shoot boot …….. ……..
slow blow ……… …….
thin ring ……… ……..
ball hall …….. ……..
cup up ……… ……..
bed red ……… ………
pick lick …….. ………
heel feel kneel reel
lazy hazy crazy daisy
sun bun nun ton
shoot boot hoot jute
slow blow glow flow
thing ring sing king
ball hall call mall
cup up pup sup
bed red head said
pick lick tick chick .
E. LET’S TALK SabDekho.in
All of you should look at your shadow at different times of the day and rote how different it looks every time and why . Diseuss whether your shadow behaves differently from the shadows of other .
Prakash : Very early morning , our shadow its not seen when the sun is not up .
Neha : With the rise of the sun , our shadow grows taller .
Rakesh : In noon , the sun being at the top of our head our shadow is not seen .
Harsh : After the noon , till evening again our shadow grows taller .
Moni : After evening , with the fall of night , till morn again our shadow gets disappeared
F. COMPOSITION SabDekho.in
Q. Write a paragraph on ‘ What I like and dislike about my shadow ‘ ?
Ans . I like my shadow growing taller . I like my shadow going with me and following me . I like to play with my shadow . I like to run and a muse with it . When my shadow is very taller than me I don’t like it . I also don’t like my shadow going between my heels . And the most amoying thing about my shadow that I dislike is , when my shadow disappears at all at night .
Translate the following into English
मुझे प्रकाश में अपनी परछाई दिखती है । जब मैं चलता हूँ वह भी चलती है । जब मैं रूकता हूँ वह भी रूकती है । परन्तु वह अंधेरे में छिप जाती है । कभी वह बहुत लम्बी होती है और कभी वह बहुत छोटी हो जाती है । उसका रहस्य मुझे समझ में नहीं आता है । Ans .
In light , my shadows is seen . When I walk , she also walks with me . When I stop , she also stops . But in dark she hides away . Sometimes she is very tall and sometimes she becomes very short . I can’t understand her secret .
1. Moving a light source closer to an object can make its shadow grow larger while moving the light source away can have the opposite ef fect . Experiment and see what happens to the shadows of different objects when you tilt the light source or change its brightness , what happens to the shadow if you make the light source very dim ?
Ans . In dim light our shadow can’t be seen . Do the experiment yourselves . 2. See how sunlight creates shadows with various objects such as trees , houses and cars . Learn how the sun’s position in the sky affects the size of shadows .